Instructions on how to remove a seized yaw piston on GE turbine with the WECS yaw piston puller tool
Basic Instructions for the use of the WECS Renewables GE yaw pistons puller tool kit:
1. Remove all hardware surrounding the piston to be extracted. (Locknut, Adjusting Bolt, Snap Ring, Closing Nut, Spring Carrier, all springs and spring retaining O-ring, Shim Ring)
2. Place Tap on top of the piston.
3. Install Tap Guide by threading into thread used for the Closing Nut. Thread down as far as possible Making Contact with top of Piston this will keep piston from Rotating while tapping contacting the back of the Tap.
4. Using a wrench start the tapping process using standard alternating Clockwise and Counter Clockwise motions. Continue the tapping process until the tap bottoms out.
5. Remove the Tap Guide and unscrew the Tap and remove.
6. Inspect and clean new threads.
7. Thread Pulling Plug into the piston using the newly cut threads.
8. Install threaded rod into the center of the Pulling Plug
9. Place Cylinder over the threaded rod. If clearance is tight placing the rod in the cylinder before threading into the Pulling Plug may be warranted. (for manual extraction, thread manual extractor into place)
10. Install washer and locking nut on the threaded rod, and thread down to top of cylinder, or manual extractor.
11. Activate the cylinder to extract piston. (for manual method, continue to thread nut to apply extraction force)
12. If piston does not release, retract cylinder, reset locking nut and activate cylinder. If additional travel is required to remove piston, extend locking nut on the top of cylinder by 2_” _and place the Spacer between the hydraulic cylinder and the piston sleeve. ( Note: the spacer has a raised boss on the bottom so it will self-center in the piston sleeve. Also the spacer is slotted so that the threaded rod does not need to be remover to add the spacer)
13. Once piston is removed clean the piston sleeve as required and reassemble per turbine manufacturer’s instructions.